Saturday, July 31, 2010

Dubois to Colter Bay, WY 76 miles

We started out from Dubois a little later than we have been getting going, around 6:30.

I ate a lot of food from my panniers and the first time we stopped, it was patently obvious I should not stop for breakfast; my knee started hurting as soon as I stopped cycling.

About 4 miles up the 8 miles to the top of Togogatee Pass,

there was serious construction; they are rebuilding the road. This time, unlike in Colorado, they stuffed me in the bed of their pilot vehicle.

Riding the bike up would have been exceedingly difficult.

They dumped me out just short of the top. I can't say I was really upset about the aborted ride up.

At the top lay Wind Lake. Still and underutilized, the picnic area was stocked with a fresh banana and Kellogg's strawberry granola bar. I left them for someone more needy. It was quite odd and funny.

I took the ride down slowly, taking loads of photos and generally enjoying the fabulous views of the Tetons. There was more construction on the way down, buy it was navigable, and well... downhill.
Bill passed me, but thought I was seeking solitude, so he didn't stop.

Very first glimpses of the Tetons. I have seen them several times, but they still take my breath away. The best photos were taken with a regular camera, so they can't be seen here yet.

At the bottom, I thought I might stay alone in the National Forest CG Hatchet; I have a phone interview tomorrow morning and thought I would sleep in somewhere I would get good phone service, but when I texted Janelle to ask what their plans were, she said they were going on to Colter Bay, 18 more miles, so I decided to join them. I thought the phone service would be even better there. Wrong. In my short time at Hatchet, a hummingbird took great interest in my rear blinky light.

We would have had to pay $12 per cyclist if two of our party had not been elligible for senior passes ($10 for life). A car with unlimited people inside would have been $25.
There was a moose jam not far from the entrance gate, but the moose had camoflaged itself by the time we got there.
The miles to Colter Bay were quite pretty, though heavy traffic and a narrow shoulder made it difficult to look around. Even if you could cross to the observation pulloffs on the opposite side of the road, it was difficult to cross back over. At Colter Bay we met up with Sara, Mike Mizer and shortly, Mac and Nick.

For dinner we went to the restaurant and had a pretty pricy meal. The consessioner has a program to entice foreigners and out of staters to take jobs in Yellowstone for the summer. I had forgotten how diverse that made it.
Heidi and Jamie showed up around 9 pm from doing the Jackson spur. They were not loaded. We met up at an intersection in the campground and compared blinkies. Rich showed up soon after, but Mike showed up long after dark; he was fully loaded.
In camp we also met a couple going east and a gentleman doing the Great Divide. I would have likes to speak to him, bit did not realize what he was doing until later.
At the store we were looking for wi-fi or phone service, for that interview tomorrow. We finally ended out search at the cabin rental office.
Later at night we have several mtgs at the bathrooms. What can I say, it's where great great minds think. It's also where great phones go to charge.
There are sites specific to bikers and each one has a Bear bin.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Wayne Garvey said...

Hi gang! Just a follow-up "Hello!" from Marion, KY. Was going back over the Log you signed, and wished to affirm that I'm still praying for the group, for safety, for few flat tires, for no bugs (either stingers or viruses), and for LOTS of friendly people to speed you on your way. I'm glad you could stay here at the church the other night, and wish I could have done more to help you out. Anyway, God Bless You in completing your journey -- hope it was all you desired it to be!
Wayne Garvey
Marion United Methodist Church