Thursday, August 15, 2013

August 15, Thursday

A leisurely departure from the RV park at 8:30 took us by the digital bank temperature display. 47°. Since this didn't seem frigid, I wonder if all my estimates are skewed high. That would put yesterday's night temperature closer to freezing.
We ate breakfast at the Lost Moose. Jamie took a secret run to get a Smirnov Ice she could present to John at the top of Ute pass. We headed back down Rt 9 to the Colorado River to get back on route.
Although we had projected a gradual climb to Ute pass, it was in fact a moderate and long climb to bring us to 9,500 feet. The first climb was topped by a weird standing stone bordered by fencing to keep livestock out and a modern broken plastic statue of a donkey pulling a cart. No marker your description. The second climb passed through miles of privately held mining activity. There was also the largest damn I have been at the foot of. John thought this was Denver's reservoir but it was nearly empty. A huge pipeline ran off into the distance, as far as you could see, over hills and through woods.
At the top we met a couple scoping out the route for the 60 mile option of the Peaks to Summit ride.
Jamie and Roger presented John with the Ice drink in an over-the-top ceremony and then we headed down for a long descent (mostly) into Silverthorn and Dillon reservoir. I attempted to clean the goo out of my road rash, since it is not drying and I put some triple antibiotic on the leg and arm.
The steep climb to the top of Dillon reservoir came as a surprise, though it should not have, since I have come down it 2x. We stopped at Heaton campground, but I decided to press on, since alas, the road rash has not dried out and I didn't think I would sleep well. The path to Breckenridge seemed new to me because this was my first time going that direction. The Fireside Inn Hostel was easy to find and delightful. The owners may have been a little squeamish about my road rash, but I will shower and cover it for the night with plastic wrap and that should help them and me.
Susan and Kevin were also there, so I didn't see them until quite late. I ate at Eric's and had two iced teas and Irish coffees, but either the coffee wasn't decaf or the tea waylaid me; I was awake past 3 AM.

No comments: